In fact, it has been proven that certain colors can affect our mood. Because of this, it is always helpful to understand a little about how the psychology of colors works.
This will enable us to create areas at work and in private where we can live and function better.
We also know that each of us has a favorite color. Furthermore, although we do not know exactly why, there are certain nuances and tones that balance us as well as define us.
Today, on our page, we want to present a summary of an interesting study conducted by psychologist and sociologist Eva Heller, in a book called “The Psychology of Color”.
This book is composed of references in this important field, which deal with the intimate relationship between colors and the emotions they evoke in us.
Therefore, we invite you to find out more about how colors can affect your mood. Maybe you also want to find out more about your personality.
Color Psychology: What colors can affect the mood?
It is very possible that many of us find it difficult to believe that colors can affect our mood or say something about our personality.
For this reason, psychologist Eva Heller from the Freie Universität in Berlin conducted a thorough study in which she analyzed the responses and behavior of 2,000 people in relation to certain colors and emotions that they caused.
Thanks to this study, she was able to show that certain associations are not made randomly, but are in fact universal experiences that have a lot to do with our ancestors, our childhood, our language and our thoughts.
With this in mind, you can almost say that how colors can affect our mood is innate. Let us give you an example. No one wanted to work or relax in a room with walls painted black or red.
On the other hand, if the walls were green, white or blue, the effect the room would have on us would be much more positive. We will tell you why below, where you will also find more information about how different colors can affect our mood.
From the study conducted by Dr. Heller over several years, it was clear that the population’s favorite color was blue, followed by green.
It is believed to be 111 blue tones. The general properties that this color gives off are the following:
- Blue represents sympathy, harmony and spiritual and divine virtues.
- It gives a certain feeling of distance but also of imagination.
- It also symbolizes intelligence and is as feminine as it is masculine.
- Green is, without a doubt, one of the most beloved and interesting colors. It is related to hope, fertility, life and health. This is why green is a strong color.
- It is also associated with the youngest stages of life, because it has a very energizing nuance, which evokes freedom and the most intense strength.
We are sure you already have an idea of what this color symbolizes for the general population. This color actually represents passion, but also hatred.
- There are 105 shades of red. Since ancient times, this color has been associated with the upper classes. This is why it is associated with wealth.
- Red is also a dynamic color that encourages the most intense activity.
- Here is an interesting fact about the color red: According to studies conducted by Dr. Heller, the red color is the color that animals like the least.
The analysis that was performed over several years indicates that yellow is one of the most contradictory of all the colors.
- People see it as an entertaining color, but we also associate it with betrayal.
- It also symbolizes maturity and sensual love.
- It has also been said that yellow is a very optimistic color, which motivates work, reading, writing, and creating things in general.
Purple is, without a doubt, one of the most interesting colors. It is linked to magic and feminism. Furthermore, purple is a color that represents power, as well as solidarity and respect.
Although orange is a color that is strongly associated with Buddhist culture, experts in color psychology emphasize that it is slightly underestimated.
This is because orange is an ideal color for moods where you want to encourage contact and social understanding. Furthermore, it attracts light and is entertaining, enjoyable and energetic.
We can more or less imagine what this color is usually related to: delicate, alluring things, courtesy and erotic tenderness.
But we must also take into account that pink is a very suitable color to use in our homes as it is a relaxing color and it reveals hope and creativity. Combining pink with other colors undoubtedly gives us high originality.
This is the color for goodness, spirits, for new beginnings, purity and innocence.
- Fashion designers love this color. That’s why we use black to give our outfits a touch of elegance.
- Despite the fact that today we are still in doubt as to whether we should consider black as a color (since it lacks light that all colors have), our instinct continues to perceive it with a significant negative component.
- Beyond fashion, black is related to the end, death and brutality.
This topic is undoubtedly interesting as you have seen.
It is really true that we all have “a favorite color”. In fact, we usually have between two and three favorites. Do not hesitate to use them if they make you feel good. And remember that colors can affect your mood.