This Chinese-style sweet and sour chicken recipe is one of the most popular Chinese dishes because of how tasty it is. The best part is that you can make it at home. All you have to do is follow our simple tips. The recipe is simpler, healthier and more convenient than you ever imagined.
People tend to think that Chinese food is fatty and of low quality. However, this is not the case. In addition to the soy sauce and chicken, you need to combine many ingredients to achieve the taste, texture and traditional spice of Chinese-style sweet and sour chicken .
Sweet and sour chicken in Chinese style
- 3 boneless chicken breast fillets (600 g)
- 1 cup green pepper (120 g)
- 1 cup pineapple slices (150 g)
- 2 small onions, in pieces
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder (15 g)
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (10 g)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (45 ml)
- 1 cup water (250 ml)
- 1 egg (60 g)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup (30 ml)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (15 ml)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (30 g)
- 1 tbsp salt (15 g)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (30 ml)
This is what you do
- The first thing you need to do is prepare the sauce. It is the most important part of this recipe.
- Put the following ingredients in a frying pan: ketchup, soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, brown sugar and salt. Put it on medium heat.
- Stir and allow the liquid to evaporate slowly until you get the right consistency.
- Now it’s time to prepare the chicken.
- Cut the chicken fillet into cubes, finely chop the garlic and cut the onion into pieces. Do not forget to do the same with the peppers.
- Then marinate the chicken by having the latter ingredients in a bowl with the egg, a little extra soy sauce (to taste), a tablespoon of rice vinegar and cornstarch.
- Mix everything well.
- Put some vegetable oil in a frying pan (not the one with the sauce) and fry the spicy chicken pieces until they get a golden brown color.
- Then add in the onion, ginger, garlic and green pepper (the mixture the chicken was marinated in), and let it simmer.
- After a few minutes, add the pineapple, lower the heat and simmer for another two minutes.
- Finally, you have in the chicken sauce you made in the beginning.
Tips to enhance the taste when making sweet and sour Chinese-style chicken
Part of the secret of this sweet and sour chicken recipe is that you need to pay special attention to two basic elements: the soy sauce and the cooking method.
This ingredient is an important part of oriental food. In fact, it is so important that it would be strange to imagine a recipe for sweet and sour chicken without it. Therefore, during the preparation of the chicken breasts, you should marinate them for a few minutes in advance with plenty of soy sauce and a little vinegar.
- If you marinate the chicken for a few minutes, the taste will improve.
- Similarly, there are people who recommend adding Worcester sauce to this marinade, but in smaller amounts than the soy sauce.
When it comes to Chinese-style sweet and sour chicken, you should also let the chicken fillets dry a bit.
- To do this, lower the heat and cover the frying pan with a lid.
- In this way, the marinade will penetrate into each piece of the chicken.
We hope you enjoy this great recipe!