We all have some old cotton shirts lying around. They go well with most jeans, and in fact they can also be worn with skirts if you go for a more challenging look.
Regardless, whether it is because the fabric has worn out or it has lost its color, after a while we almost always stop using them, and we replace them with new ones.
The good news is that we must not leave them unused. And we definitely do not need to throw them in the trash, because the material is still usable. With a little time and creativity, old cotton shirts can also be transformed into interesting accessories and crafts that we can reuse at any time.
Are you ready to start?
1. Make shopping bags from old cotton shirts
It’s time to stop using plastic bags at the grocery store. Cloth bags are the eco-friendly choice that will soon replace the polluting material that has already caused so much damage to the environment. Still, instead of buying a cloth bag, what do you think about using the fabric from your old cotton shirts to make one?
It is easy!
- Cut off the sleeves of the shirt, sew the bottom together with a sewing machine, and if you want, widen the neck for easier storage.
- Of course, you have the freedom to cut into the fabric as you wish. It just depends on your creativity.
At the store you can find all sorts of hair bands that compliment your hairstyle or change your look. Still, by dedicating a few minutes to crafts, you can create a beautiful headband using the fabric from your old cotton shirts.
- Cut off a part of the shirt, fold it, and make different stripes.
- Then, combine them in a braid or in knots.
- Adjust the size to fit your head.
- It is easy!
Although it may be a little discolored or worn, the fabric from our t-shirts is thin and manageable, which makes them great for making pillows from. You can cut them into the shape you like best and you only need to sew the sides together with your sewing machine, or tie them together if you make strips. Then you can put them together with your furniture, dog bed, or wherever you want.
- Look for differently shaped pillows, make a shape, and cut it out.
- You can fill them with cotton, fabric scraps or other soft material.
You do not have to spend a lot of money on a nice scarf if you want to change your style. If you dedicate some time, you can turn your old t-shirt into a fantastic accessory.
Rags made with fabric remnants from a t-shirt are great for the entrance area or for the foot of your bed. It’s an old craft that you’ve probably seen made by your grandparents.
- Cut the shirt into small pieces and tie them together until you have a large enough blanket.
Cutting different strips of old cotton shirts is the first step in creating an interesting and beautiful belt. You can use it to keep your pants up, or as a strap for your wallet or purse.
- Make a braid with your t-shirt strips, then make a knot so you can adjust it.
Are you tired of getting stains on your clothes when you cook? Take the old cotton shirts that you no longer use out of your dresser and use them to make some beautiful and useful aprons.
- Use the front of the shirt to cut out the shape of the apron. With the extra fabric, you can make the threads and pockets.
- If you wish, you can add buttons and decorative prints.
8. Sports stop
If you are good with the sewing machine, you can probably turn all your old t-shirts into comfortable sports tops.
- Make a pattern on a piece of paper, draw it on the fabric, and cut it out.
- Be sure to leave some extra fabric on the sides of the seam to sew it back on.
9. Washcloths of old cotton shirts
This is definitely the easiest use! If you want to quickly recycle this item of clothing while also saving money, make it into a washcloth. The material is thin, absorbent and it is ideal for removing dust and other substances. You can use them in the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen.
- Cut the shirts into squares and rectangles and if you want, sew the edges together so they do not wear out so easily.
Now that you know how to extend the life of the old shirts that you have no longer used, test your creativity and make these interesting crafts.
You will love the results!