Is It Possible To Be Allergic To Electricity?

Some people who are allergic to electricity suffer from discomfort when exposed to electromagnetic fields. However, science has not yet determined whether it can be classified as an allergy or another similar condition.
Is it possible to be allergic to electricity?

Being allergic to electricity is a topic that experts do not talk much about. Although there are many reports of this condition, it does not yet have a solid scientific basis. In addition, the formal diagnosis of this condition is not recognized.

If someone is allergic to electricity, it means that they are suffering from a side effect that involves visible symptoms when exposed to electromagnetic fields. They range from eye discomfort to more serious conditions.

This condition is also known as electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS). Science has not agreed on this problem, as there is conflicting evidence on the matter.

What is electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS)?

A woman with a skin rash.

Being allergic to electricity, or suffering from electromagnetic hypersensitivity, is an intolerance to electromagnetic fields. If someone with this condition exposes themselves to them, they will suffer a number of symptoms that largely coincide with those caused by allergies.

Electromagnetic fields are classical fields (ie non-quantum), produced by the acceleration of electric charges from high voltage power lines, mobile phones, household appliances and WiFi networks. In theory, if someone is allergic to electricity and is exposed to these fields, they will experience physical or emotional discomfort.

No scientific evidence confirms the existence of this condition. Some studies have shown that people who feel bothered by this problem show symptoms when exposed to both real and fake electromagnetic fields.

Meanwhile, the European Commission published a report on the condition in 2015. It pointed out that there is no evidence that people are allergic to electricity, or that electromagnetic hypersensitivity exists. However, it also states that further studies are required.

Being allergic to electricity: the symptoms

Many doctors and researchers believe that the precautionary principle should be used in these cases. This principle states that in situations where there is no conclusive evidence, it is best to accept the existence of the condition and act accordingly.

According to available and unconfirmed data, electromagnetic hypersensitivity causes chronic fatigue, recurrent headaches, dizziness, nervousness, tachycardia, decreased concentration, insomnia and other similar symptoms.

Similarly, the symptoms of those who are apparently allergic to electricity consist of three steps:

  • First step. This is basically neurological. It causes symptoms such as headaches, tinnitus, numbness and tingling, dizziness, difficulty concentrating, indigestion and tachycardia, among others.
  • Second step. This stage causes three symptoms: chronic fatigue, insomnia and depression. Irritability, verbal aggression and mood disorders can also occur.
  • Third step. Children may suffer from hyperactivity and loss of interest in play and schoolwork. Teenagers may suffer from mental and behavioral changes. Adults can suffer from delirium and pseudodemesis.

An important aspect that must be taken into account is that the symptoms worsen when the patient is exposed to electromagnetic fields, but decrease if it is limited. This condition seems to worsen gradually. It has more psychological effects in children, while more neurodegenerative effects in adults.

Is there a treatment for electromagnetic hypersensitivity?

As electromagnetic hypersensitivity is not a recognized medical diagnosis, there is no cure for it. Experts who admit that people may be allergic to electricity point out that this may be due to a weak immune system or a special vulnerability to electromagnetism.

Some case reports indicate that this condition is gradually worsening. Because of this, experts recommend changing some habits, such as the following:

  • Air your house for 15 minutes every day.
  • Replace wireless networks with wired connections.
  • Replace cordless phones with landlines.
  • Hire a specialist to discover the most important sources of radiation in your home. This will allow you to make changes to reduce the exposure of the affected person.
  • Wear clothes made of natural fibers, such as cotton or wool. Synthetic materials favor static electricity. Therefore, experts advise against them.
  • Only use your mobile phone for important tasks. Do this in open areas and use the speaker so that you do not have to bring it closer to your head.
  • Remove electrical appliances or similar devices from your bedroom. It is best to keep them disconnected when you are not using them.

Ultimately, those who are allergic to electricity should be exposed to electromagnetic fields as little as possible. In this way , it is possible for the symptoms to subside rather than worsen.

A woman with a headache holding her cell phone
Being allergic to electricity can cause inconvenience.

Final recommendations if you are allergic to electricity

Today, electromagnetic fields are everywhere. Electrical or electronic devices are not the only sources. In fact, these fields are found all around us. The earth has its own magnetic field. In the same way, the radiation the sun emits every day is much higher than the amount emitted by a mobile phone antenna.

In view of the above, it is practically impossible to create “electromagnetic radiation-free” spaces. Whether this allergy exists or not, it is healthiest to disconnect electronic devices from time to time. You can take advantage of this time to enjoy nature.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button