Do you want to preserve the food for a longer period of time? If your answer is yes, you may want to consider a sun dryer or food dryer.
Dehydration of food is a process that involves eliminating all traces of moisture for preservation purposes. By doing so, the food can last for longer periods and does not need to be consumed immediately.
Does your food often get bad?
When we are at the store, we are busy thinking about filling our cupboards, and sometimes we do not consider the possibility that we will not be able to eat everything we buy before it expires.
This is exactly why you should dehydrate the food and remove some of the water content to preserve it without using any added preservatives.
It is no secret that we live in a time where we want to use more natural products and where people are becoming more and more driven to follow a balanced diet.
We all want to enjoy the benefits that food can offer. From vitamins and minerals that we find in fruits, to proteins that are abundant in vegetables and meat.
But how good is it to eat dehydrated food?
- Although dehydrated foods have a sweet taste, the sugar in them is not processed and they retain their original vitamins and minerals (potassium, magnesium, phosphate and calcium).
- In addition, the dehydration process does not change the iron and fiber content of foods.
Dried foods provide twice as much energy as their fresher counterparts, making them a popular alternative for snacks.
In addition, these foods have properties that improve digestion and are a good help to lose a few extra pounds.
Other reasons to make your own sun dryer for food
When you start using a food dryer, you no longer have to rely on refrigerators or freezers, because the food will stay well in the pantry and preserve its nutritional properties.
Dehydrated foods are a substitute for sweets, and they contain little fat because they do not go through industrial processing. In addition, they are good to add to a variety of dishes.
How can you make your own sun dryer for food?
To make your own food dryer at home, you do not need advanced equipment nor do you need to manage with complicated instructions. You just need some tools that you probably already have at home.
- hole saw
- wooden box
- 4 wooden blocks
- bits for drill
- 8 wooden slats
- transparent building plastic
- black garbage bag.
Here’s how to do it
- First you need to make two holes on the sides of the wooden box using the hole saw. Make the holes in the middle on each side.
- Then cover the holes with netting and secure it with the pins.
- Line the bottom of the box with the black garbage bag. Make sure that there are no holes in it and that the bottom is completely covered.
- Place the four wooden blocks in the short ends, one in each corner, to make a raised shelf.
- Afterwards, make a frame that is identical in size to the box with the wooden slats. Use the drill and secure the corners.
- The next step is to cover the frame with building plastic and staple it to ensure that it does not come loose.
It is crucial that there are no more holes in your sun dryer, as it can affect how the heat enters.
- Attach the hinges to the corners on one long side with the screws to make a door that opens and closes the box.
- Then make a frame a few inches smaller than the box. This frame will be placed on top of the four wooden blocks and serve as the second shelf.
- To complete the project, you need to cover the inner frame with mesh and staple it securely to the frame.
Use your sun dryer
For best results with your sun dryer, work with the movement of the sun to ensure that light enters through the holes on the side of the box.
If you want rapid dehydration, you need to find a dry place where hot air circulates.
- Choose the foods you want to dehydrate. Avoid foods that are already very ripe.
- Wash the food of your choice.
- Cut into strips, pieces or small cubes for faster dehydration.
- Spread the food evenly on the mesh thread to ensure even drying.
- Remove the food pieces that do not dry properly to prevent them from affecting the others.
- Once everything is dry, store them right away to prevent them from absorbing moisture.
- Write down the date of drying. Discard the food after one year if you have not eaten it.
And that’s it. Are you ready to try your sun dryer?