Are you looking for a simple recipe that will add more legumes to the family diet? Then you must try this delicious recipe for curry with chickpeas and basmati rice. It is a very nutritious, tasty and comforting dish.
We explain the recipe below, step by step. It’s an infallible recipe! No one can resist this special taste – not even children!
Curry with chickpeas: Nutritional properties
Chickpeas are rich in vegetable proteins, making them highly valued in vegetarian diets. In addition, they are a source of soluble and insoluble fiber, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium. When it comes to vitamins, vitamin E, vitamin B and folate stand out the most.
Rice, on the other hand, provides vitamins B3 and B6, in addition to proteins.
The other main component of this recipe, curry, is known for its antioxidant properties, as well as the anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric.
Curry with chickpeas, step by step
Preparation: Moderate to simple
Time required: 40 minutes
- 400 g cooked chickpeas
- 100 g basmati rice
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tomatoes
- Water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 g fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- A little green cardamom
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh coriander, optional, to taste
Preparation of curry with chickpeas
- Chop the onion julienne style. Set aside.
- Then chop the tomatoes. Set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in a pan. When it is hot, add the onion. Cook over medium heat until golden.
- Grate the garlic and add it to the pan.
- Add grated ginger. When the garlic is golden it is time to add the tomatoes.
- Add the mustard seeds to the mixture and stir.
- Once the liquids have evaporated, add the curry and chickpeas.
- You must also add 100 ml of water to the pot and let it boil for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While you make the dish, put the second tablespoon of butter in another pot along with the cardamom and cloves. Let the spices fry a little. However, be careful not to burn them, as this will give them a bitter taste.
- Add rice and water. Then cover the rice. It will have twice as much volume in boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes on low heat, or as long as the package says. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the cooked rice with the dish on top. You can sprinkle some fresh coriander on top.
Variations of the recipe
You can add other vegetables to increase the nutritional value.
- If you want, you can also add potatoes. In that case, we recommend cutting them into cubes of the same size so that they cook evenly. Add them after the onion and garlic are cooked.
- Another good option is to add spinach or carrots to the dish. Clean the spinach well, chop the leaves and add them towards the end of the cooking time, as they cook very quickly. When it comes to carrots, it is best to add them at the same time as the chickpeas, cut into cubes or slices, so that they capture the taste of the dish.
- Do you like broccoli? You can also add it in court.
Other variants depend on preferences:
- To get an even more creamy sauce, you can add coconut milk.
- Do you like spicy food? Try using chili pepper curry. You will love it!
- Garnish with a slice of lemon and give the dish a slightly sour feel.
Curry with chickpeas and basmati rice is a vegetarian dish that makes everyone who tastes it fall in love. The texture of rice and chickpeas is perfectly combined with curry and the other spices.
Finally, do not forget the bread, because everyone will want to dip it in the sauce!